We all need to be reminded how awesome we are.
I’m often guilty of listening to self-doubt and my insecurities about my appearance. You know that little voice in your head that tells you you’re noticeably bloating, that your acne is preventing you from making friends or that your I-really-want-this-job-so-I-hope-I’m-impressing-you laugh sounds too fake? Sometimes, the voice isn’t so “little.”
Silencing that voice is nearly impossible for me because I can hear it even if it’s on mute. It’s like it added captions to my everyday life, which wouldn’t be terrible except that they block my vision. I kid you not, the words “you’re fat” were written across my waiter’s forehead once, forcing me to order a tiny salad instead of what I really wanted to eat.
It’s getting out of hand, but I find solace in the moments I can push past the self-doubt and consider how everyone else must be feeling.
I mean, have you ever looked at a complete stranger and realized that their life is just as complicated and messed up as yours? It’s humbling.
It’s called sonder. That random woman sipping tea by the window in your favorite coffee shop? She could be waiting for her blind date to arrive. That man wearing sunglasses inside? He might be an undercover cop trying to solve someone’s murder. OK, maybe not, but my point is that everyone has something going on.
Everyone has a life, and everyone doubts themselves on occasion. If you take a minute to observe the people around you — I mean really look — you might start to see the beauty in others and begin to recognize it in yourself.
Of course, it’s not easy to overlook, or accept, your flaws, but it’s necessary. Helping others see the beauty in themselves is one of the best things you can do with your time, and it’s a win-win situation. So, next time you think someone needs a pick-me-up, share the love with these quotes that let people know they are special.
1. Because every woman is a queen.
“Be the woman who fixes another woman’s crown, without telling the world that it was crooked.” — The Funny Beaver
2. Because you’re more than your opinion of yourself.
“Always remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, smarter than you think and loved more than you know.” — Unknown
3. Because you’re tough enough for life.
“Life is tough, but so are you.” — Brit Morin
4. Because what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.
“She overcame everything that was meant to destroy her.” — Saffron Avenue Designs
5. Because the world needs more of you (not the other way around).
“Let your smile change the world, but don’t let the world change your smile.” — Unknown
6. Because trying counts.
“Be proud of how hard you are trying.” — Lauren Conrad
7. Because anything made by you is beautiful.
“You made it, so it has to be good.” — A.C. Moore Arts & Crafts
8. Because you are special. Simple as that.
“You are fucking special.” — Emily Ratay
9. Because you need to know.
“You. I just want you to know that you’re very special, and the reason I’m telling you is that I don’t know if anyone else ever has.” — Unknown
10. Because you’re one-of-a-kind.
“No one is you. THAT is what makes you special.” — Rhea Freeman
11. Because you make a lasting impression.
“I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” — Maya Angelou
12. Because you’re too precious to be a copy.
“You were born an original. Don’t die a copy.” — John Mason
13. Because you’re amazing — flaws and all.
“Just be yourself. Let people see the real, imperfect, flawed, quirky, weird, beautiful, magical person that you are.” — Mandy Hale
14. Because you can make a difference.
“Smile at strangers and you just might change a life.” — Steve Maraboli
15. Because you have the power to make others feel special.
“Be somebody who makes everybody feel like a somebody.” — Kid President
16. Because your life should reflect your awesomeness.
“You’re awake. You’re awesome. Live like it.” — Kid President
17. Because, sometimes, you can’t see your own beauty.
“Butterflies don’t know the color of their wings, but human eyes know how beautiful it is. Likewise, you don’t know how good you are, but others can see that you are special.” — madaming-alam
18. Because nobody’s perfect.
“You don’t have to be perfect to be amazing.” — Anna Kutukova
19. Because you make the world a better place.
“Some people make the world special just by being in it.” — Unknown
20. Because you can be anything and everything.
“I am large. I contain multitudes.” — Walt Whitman
21. Because you’re special enough to make others feel special.
“One kind word can change someone’s entire day.” — The Golden Rule
22. Because someone loves you.
“Always remember, you are loved.” — Katrina, The Organised Housewife
23. Because you are uniquely you.
“We are all different, and that’s beautiful.” — Karen Salmansohn
24. Because YOU MATTER.
“You matter.” — Jessica Hood, LCSW
25. Because Nanny Aibileen Clack knows what she’s talking about.
“You is kind, you is smart, you is important.” — Nanny Aibileen Clack, The Help