Because we can all benefit from the learnings and teachings of a wise man.
Leading the country of the United Kingdom through the harsh times of World War II, Winston Churchill gained a sense of popularity for not only his leadership, but his ability keep hope alive. Through his words he delivered honesty, compassion, and strength — words we should focus to live by each day of our lives.
So, in honor of Winston Churchill day on April 9th, we’ve comprised a list of 30 of the greatest Winston Churchill quotes that still resonate with us today.
1. We as individuals change with time.
“When you’re 20, you care what everyone thinks. When you’re 40, you stop caring what everyone thinks. When you’re 60, you realize no one was ever thinking about you in the first place.”
2. Stand up for what you believe in.
“You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.”
3. Taking risks is important.
“Live dangerously; take things as they come; dread naught, all will be well.”
4. Know the difference between who we are, and what we do.
“We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.”
5. Look at the big picture.
“However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.”
6. There’s light at the end of the tunnel.
“If you’re going through hell, keep going.”
7. Free speech also means there will be healthy debating.
“Some people’s idea of free speech is that they are free to say what they like, but if anyone says anything back, that is an outrage.”
8. Relying soley on niceties will only get you so far.
“An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.”
9. Always be prepared for life.
“To every man there comes in his lifetime that special moment when he is figuratively tapped on the shoulder and offered a chance to do a very special thing, unique to hum and fitted to his talents, what a tradegy if that moment finds hum unprepared or unqualified for that which would be his finest hour.”
10. Follow your passions.
“Never give up on something that you can’t go a day without thinking about.”
11. There’s nothing wrong with failure.
“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.”
12. And embrace failure as it comes.
“Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm.”
13. Look at our positions and mannerisms a little differently.
“I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.”
14. You can control your own narrative.
“History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.”
15. Believing in yourself is most of the battle.
16. We can handle the obstacles life throws at us.
“We occasionally stumble over the truth but most of us pick ourselves up and hurry as if nothing happened.”
17. Learn from your challenges.
“A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; the optimist see the opportunity in every difficulty.”
18. Keep persevering.
“We shall never surrender.”
19. Some things can be fixed with a shot of tequila.
“Salt my dish, bartender.”
20. To have courage is a quality aspect of your character.
“Fear is a reaction. Courage is a decision.”
21. Who we are at our weakest says quite a lot.
“The test of real charater is what a man does when he is tired.”
22. There is a strength in seeing every side.
“A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject.”
23. There is also strength in power, but so is the need to do the right thing.
“The price of greatness is responsibility.”
24. There’s a beauty in work ethic.
“Continuous effort, not strength or intelligence, is the key to unlocking our potential.”
25. Everything can be temporary and taken away if not maintained or worked for.
“Success is not final.”
26. Try, and then try harder.
“Difficulties mastered are opportunities won.”
27. Always remember, there’s two sides to every story.
“History is written by the victors.”
28. Others are watching how you handle life’s obstacles.
“I never worry about action, but only about inaction.”
29. The importance of learning…
“Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.”