Lost PAN Card: Re-application Procedure
The Permanent Account Number (PAN) is one of the essential tools in your purse, wherever you go. PAN cards are used for every service you take: booking tickets, opening a bank account, filing for Income Tax Return (ITR), paying income taxes, investment, among others. Even restaurants or traffic police check your PAN card for your age eligibility. Hence, PAN cards are very important to carry but what happens when this card is lost or forgotten? In case of Lost Pan Card, the government has ensured that adequate means are in place to avail a duplicate PAN Card without any hassle and trouble. A PAN card holder needs to remember a few basic things if he has lost his PAN card. In this article, we look at the procedure to apply for a new PAN card, in lieu of a lost PAN Card.
Procedure to Apply for Lost PAN Card Online
The government has ensured adequate provisions to cover the loss of PAN card. The option to reprint the PAN card is provided online and that too in a simple and trouble-free application process. Below mentioned are simple steps through which all individuals can reprint their lost PAN card:
- Log into the website of TIN/NSDL
- Select the tab menu of online application for PAN.
- After selecting the above tab, applicants can choose the preference of “Reprint PAN Card”. This option is basically for stolen, lost or misplaced PAN card.
- After clicking the above mentioned tab, the page would be automatically redirected to a different navigation pane where the applicant needs to click the option “Online Application for changes/correction in PAN Data”.
- After clicking the aforementioned option, a new page with instructions and guidelines would appear. After reading these guidelines, the applicant can select the type of PAN they need to apply i.e. individual/company/HUF/firm, etc.).
- After selecting the type of PAN Card, the applicant needs to fill up the online application form wherein details such as existing Permanent Account Number, applicant’s name, communication address, contact number, email id, etc. need to be filled.
- Post-filling the details, submit necessary documents along with the application. For the lost PAN card, proof of PAN must be submitted. Proof of PAN can be one of the following only:
- Copy of PAN card; or
- Copy of intimation letter issued by the Income Tax Department in lieu of PAN card intimating PAN.
- In case one of the above proofs are not available, a copy of FIR (stating loss of PAN card) can be submitted.
- The application form can either be submitted online or sent by post to NSDL, along with the necessary documents to the following address:
Income Tax PAN Services Unit,
NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited,
5th Floor, Mantri Sterling, Plot No. 341,
Survey No. 997/8, Model Colony,
Near Deep Bungalow Chowk, Pune – 411016.
- The application fee of Rs 107 for resident individual or Rs 989/- for a non-resident individual (communication address outside India) can be paid through various means
- The payment of application fee can be done through a debit card,credit card, net banking or demand draft.
- Once the application fee is paid successfully an acknowledgment number will be generated which is required for all future correspondences.
- A duplicate PAN card bearing the same PAN Number is sent by post at the correspondence address mentioned in the form, in about 2 weeks.