Who is Atticus?
Odds are, you’ve probably been stopped in your tracks by one of these before — an image of a short, simple love quote in old-school typewriter-like font, packed with an insane amount of insight/emotion/eloquence and simply signed “Atticus.”
With 1.2 million followers on Instagram and growing, the poet, who famously appears in public only if wearing a mask to conceal his identity, is now a New York Time bestselling author, having published two collections of his poetry — Love Her Wild (2017) and The Dark Between Stars (2018). His third, The Truth About Magic, is due to be released in September 2019.
Who is Atticus?
We were dying to know who this mysterious modern-day bard is, too, but when we reached out via email, he insisted on remaining anonymous.
We did do a little bit of research, and here’s what we learned from the folks at The Globe and Mail and at America Magazine, who were fortunate enough to snag interviews with him.
- He’s from British Columbia
- He’s “in the kind of older 20s” (or he was as of 2017)
- He bounces around a lot between Canada, Europe and L.A. (living in Venice Beach when he’s there)
- He wears a mask at public events less to protect his identity and more “as a symbol to ‘remind himself to always write what he feels instead of what he thinks he should feel.'”
We may not know much about Atticus, but one thing’s for sure: this poet knows an awful lot about love and life.
Whether you’re in love, heartbroken, or simply enjoying life, we can all agree that these words profoundly stir our very souls.
For all the lovers and broken-hearted alike, here are 16 of the best love quotes from Atticus’ Instagram love poems.
1. Because we all crave love, no matter how bad it can hurt …
“It seems to me, that love could be labeled poison and we’d drink it anyways.”
2. Love someone for all they are, not just what’s on the outside …
“She had the most beautiful thing I had ever seen and it took only her laugh to realize that beauty was the least of her.”
3. Because imperfection is beautiful …
“She was so flawed, so perfectly flawed, so perfectly flawed for me.”
4. A simple touch can mean everything.
“The words never meant much, that’s not how I loved, it was when she stroked my hair, when she thought I was asleep, that I knew she really did.”
5. Because feeling a sense of safety with someone is wonderful …
“She was my all, all for me, she was my home, in desert or sea, there with her wherever it be she was my home, home you see.”
6. Because your words can sometimes mean everything …
“She wore his compliments like diamonds.”
7. Well, because, it’s science.
“My atoms love your atoms, it’s chemistry.”
8. Because even love should be in moderation …
“She was a drug to take in moderation.”
9. It’s easy to love someone who sees the good in all.
“That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days.”
10. For the kindest of souls …
“It was never the way she looked, always the way she was, I could’ve fallen in love with my eyes closed.”
11. Because we all have that one person we dream of growing old with …
“I aspire to be an old man with an old wife laughing at old jokes from a wild youth.”
12. When you only have eyes for that one person …
“I look at her sometimes and wonder out of all the faces in the world how did I find one that was so perfect for me.”
13. Never lose sight of who you are …
“Don’t find her and lose you. Find you to find her.”
14. When you need to find yourself …
“She wasn’t looking for a knight, she was looking for a sword.”
15. Because you should grow together …
“Don’t ask her to be a rock for you to lean upon. Instead, build her wings, and point her to the sky, and she will teach you both how to fly.”
16. Find love through the chaos …
“I told her I was lost in this world, and she smiled, because she was too, we were all lost somehow, but we didn’t care, we had in the chaos found each other.”