How strong is your communication with your partner? Do you find that the two of you text, email, nod at and grunt in reply to each other more than you typically have meaningful conversations with each other?
Admittedly, we all get caught up in our busy day-to-day lives, and often it’s our most important communication, expressing our feelings of love for our partners, that pays the biggest price.
Why is finding new and different ways to say “I love you” so important in relationships?
When we forget to say those three little words — ‘I love you’ — often enough and with full sincerity, even in the form of note scrawled with one of the best, most inspiring love quotes you can find, our connection with each other begins to suffer.
The connection in the relationship may start to weaken so slowly that we don’t even notice as the distance continues growing.
In his New York Times Bestseller, The 5 Love Languages: The Secret to Love that Lasts, marriage expert Dr. Gary Chapman urges couples to learn how to express their love for each other in the forms their partner gives and receives love most naturally, be it through physical touch, gifts, acts of service or devotion, quality time, or words of affirmation.
In particular, he stresses one important communication skill related to words of affirmation that all too often gets overlooked in our fast-paced digital society — and that method of connection is the written word.
Think about it … love letters used to be epic! They were tied with ribbon, stored in boxes for decades, and passed down through generations.
Don’t worry, your expressions of love can be epic, too —whether written, verbal or through text message.
Here are the best ways to say “I love you” in the most romantic, sweet and genuine ways.
(Even one you can put on a post-it note and stick to the bathroom mirror.)
1. “If, out of time, I could pick one moment and keep it shining, always new, of all the days that I have lived, I’d pick the moment I met you.”
That will always be the moment my life changed.
2. “They say you only fall in love once, but that can’t be true … Every time I look at you, I fall in love all over again.”
Every day more and more.
3. “I love you to the moon and back.” — Amelia Hepworth
And then there and back again.
4. “With you, forever won’t be too long.”
Our forever is going to be amazing.
5. “At this very moment, my thoughts of you have me smiling. You do that for me … did you know that?”
Love is magical.
6. “I never knew how joyous life could be, until I saw your face.”
Your smile says it all.
7. “She asked, ‘You are in love, what does love look like?’ To which I replied, ‘Like everything I’ve ever lost come back to me.'”
You are everything I’ve ever had.
8. “When I see you, I think ‘Good job, God!'”
He broke the mold with you.
9. “If you need to hear why I love you, I can go on all night.” — Lucas to Brooke on “One Tree Hill”
I have a million reasons.
10. “I’d rather argue with you, than kiss someone else.”
Because you are that special.
11. “I am consumed by the desire to be with you, to talk to you and to feel you near me.”
I want you around me always.
12. “I could search my whole life through and through and never find another you.”
Not that I would even want too.
13. “In case you ever foolishly forget: I am never not thinking of you.” — Virginia Woolf
You are always with me.
14. “When you feel alone, just look at the spaces between your fingers, and remember that’s where my fingers fit perfectly.”
Like puzzle pieces.
15. “Whatever you have to do today, I’m glad to be doing it with you.”
I would do anything and everything with you.
16. “Maybe you don’t need the whole world to love you. Maybe you just need one person.” — Kermit the Frog (aka Jim Henson)
And that person makes your world go round.
17. “You are my world, gravity always pulls me toward you.”
You make me so happy.
18. “There’s something about you I’m scared to lose because I know I won’t find it in anyone else.” — “The Driver”
You are too precious to lose.
19. “Sometimes I feel like my heart will burst with all of the longing and excitement I feel when I think of you.”
And the butterflies in my stomach will flutter.
20. “If I loved you less, I might be able to talk about it more.” — Jane Austen, Emma
You are perfect to me.
21. “They told me that to make her fall in love, I had to make her laugh. But every time she laughs, I’m the one who falls in love.” — Tommaso Ferraris
Your laugh is my paradise.
22. “A piece of my heart is always missing when you’re not with me.”
I just want you by my side always.
23. “I never wanted to have anything in my life that I couldn’t stand losing. It’s too late for that.”
I love you that much.
24. “You are the finest, loveliest, tenderest, and most beautiful person I have ever known — and even that is an understatement.” — F. Scott Fitzgerald
You are indescribable.
25. “You look great today. How did I know? Because you look great every day.”
And that will never change.