We are all in need of a little tough love sometimes.
We all need a bit of tough love.
Whether it is coming from your best friend who is worried about your current relationship, or your boss who is concerned about your work performance. Sometimes tough love is the push we need to get our butts into gear and take back control of our lives.
A lot of the time, we think of tough love as a negative thing – who wants someone they’re super close to telling them that they need to do better?
Instead of viewing tough love and criticism as a bad thing, look at it as an eye opener.
The people you surround yourself with and that love you the most feel that your life is slipping away and want to help you realize it before it is too late.
Tough love forces us to take responsibility for our actions; it can literally save lives when it comes to those suffering from addiction issues or mental health problems. Tough love can also help us with simple, daily tasks that we are just too lazy to get done. When your mom tells you she isn’t letting you go out for the night wtih your friends until you clean your room and finish your homework, that is tough love!
We all need it from time to time. Your best friends and family will be the ones throwing tough love your way and it is important to take it to heart – unless you really don’t agree, then it is time for a sit down chat about how you all feel.
Regardless of the tough love you receive, here are 25 tough love quotes about how important being tough with the people we love is and the humor that can surround it sometimes. There are also some quotes thrown in there that maybe you need to hear right now. If there isn’t a person in your life giving you the tough love you need, consider me that person now!
We have all either been the person receiving or giving the tough love, right?
1. Receiving tough love is never easy, especially when you know the person is right
“I’m not telling you it is going to be easy, I’m telling you it is going to be worth it” – Unknown
2. And ain’t that the truth
“Tough love may be tough to give, but it is a necessity of life and assurance of positive growth” – T.F. Hodge
3. If you can’t do the time, don’t do the crime
“Don’t be upset about the results you didn’t get, from the work you didn’t do” – Unknown
4. No matter your age, listen to your parents because somehow they are always right
“Parents can only give good advice or put them on the right paths, but the final forming of a person’s character lies in their own hands” – Anne Frank
5. Would you rather be rich and miserable, or poor but incredibly happy?
“If you want to be successful in this world, you have to follow your passion, not a paycheck” – Jen Welter
6. The true definition of tough love
“Tough love means being firm but kind while setting boundaries and sticking to them” – Unknown
7. Do you believe in the concept to tough love?
“I believe in tough love. But for tough love to work, love must come first. We must love tough to bring out the best in those who lead” – Jon Gordon
8. If it was easy, they’d call it “easy love” and no love is ever easy
“Tough love does not mean to be mean. It’s called tough love because accepting the impossibility of changing someone else’s behavior is tough to do” – Unknown
9. This is for all the ladies who need to hear it
“Never make someone a priority who only makes you an option” – Unknown
10. Don’t be the latter
“If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not you’ll find an excuse” – Unknown
11. You are in control of your destiny, so make it bright
“Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains” – Unknown
12. This is for those giving the tough love. Remember if your intentions are good, they will come around
“The hard thing is, you try to help them but still you’re the bad one” – Unknown
13. Sometimes giving into that tough love is exactly what you need
“It takes a lot of humility to to realize that what you’re going through is more than you can handle. This is often the time to seek help” – Unknown
14. Just some friendly, tough love for those in a toxic relationship
“Relationships are worth fighting for, but you can’t be the only who fighting” – Unknown
15. How to go about giving tough love is key
“Talk to yourself like you would to someone you love” –Unknown
16. Let go of what isn’t meant to be right now
“If it doesn’t open, it’s not the right door” – Unknown
17. The tough love you receive may be hard to hear, but it’s for the best
“Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same” – Unknown
18. If there is toxicity in your life, remove yourself from it
“Sometimes the easiest way to solve a problem is to stop participating in the problem” – Jonathan Mead
19. A little verse from the Bible
“No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it “ – Hebrews 12:11
20. Sometimes it is best to let those we love the most figure things out for themselves
“To rescue people from the natural consequences of their behavior is to render them powerless” – Henry Cloud
21. One lesson of tough love a lot of us probably need to hear right now
“You need to stop doing things for someone when you find out it’s expected rather than appreciated” – Unknown
22. What you put in is what you will get out
“Feed your brain some good stuff” – Unknown
23. Tough love is what we need to really ask ourselves, “What am I even doing?”
“I’ve never seen any life transformation that didn’t begin with the person finally getting tired of their own b.s.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
“Real love is tough love” – Unknown
25. It all comes full circle
“And at the end of the day, we all just want someone to tell us when we are heading down the wrong path. That is true tough love” – Unknown