Though we may not be able to travel like we’re used to right now thanks to the coronavirus pandemic, you can at least read these John Muir quotes to soothe your adventurous soul.
John Muir’s legacy has been inspiring us to get outdoors for decades. Best known as a naturalist and the Father of the National parks, his natural zest for the wilderness has been an inspiration to all.
Best John Muir Quotes
If you can’t get out of the city physically, these quotes will help you do it mentally!
1. “Wherever we go in the mountains, we find more than we seek.” — John Muir
2. “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” — John Muir
3. “The world is big and I want to get a good look at it before it gets dark.” — John Muir
4. “The clearest way into the universe is through a forest of wilderness.” — John Muir
5. “Walk away quietly in any direction and taste the freedom of the mountaineer. Camp out among the grasses and gentians of glacial meadows, in craggy garden nooks full of nature’s darlings.” — John Muir
6. “The mountains are calling, and I must go.” — John Muir
7. “One day’s exposure to mountains is better than a cartload of books.” — John Muir
8. “The power of imagination makes us infinite.” — John Muir
9. “I am well again. I came to life in the cool winds and crystal waters of the mountains.” — John Muir
10. “How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains!” — John Muir
11. “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” — John Muir
12. “Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.” — John Muir
13. “Keep close to nature’s heart … and break clear away, once in a while, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.” — John Muir
14. “Every natural object is a conductor of divinity and only by coming into contact with them … may we be filled with the holy ghost.” — John Muir
15. “Rock and waters, etc., are words of God, and so are men. We all flow from one fountain soul. All are expressions of one love.” — John Muir